The rest of the AL Central is really tough...

Back in my days of frequent posting, I was criticized - largely by my female audience; and yes, there is at least one female who's read this blog before - for spending too much time on sports. Well, as I bring back the once-a-week post minimum (which I am trying to do) I feel it's only appropriate for me to get back to the occasional sports talk, and that's the direction I'm heading today.

But WAIT, Ladies... don't stop reading yet... I think this is a sporting tidbit that we can all get down with, if you know what I mean. Ever heard of the Kansas City Royals? If not, it's hard to blame you - hell, I've never heard of half their players and I'm supposed to be an expert. Last I heard, the Chicago media was referring to them as the "Single A Royals". Point being, they suck. Big time.

Apparently the stinkiness of the Royals emboldens even players in the Canadian American Association (that would be a small, independent minor league) because the Brockton Rox, of Brockton, Massachusets, are ready to go all-in against the Kansas City Major Leaguers. Despite playing only a 92-game season (70 less than a major league team that fails to make the playoffs) the upstart Rox - who have yet to play a game this season - are willing to bet that they'll out-win the Royals.

That's right, the Royals are so obviously pathetic that random minor league teams think they need 70 fewer games to reach the same win total. There's no reason for them not to believe that: they were damn close last year when the Royals won 56 and Brockton got to 50. I think it's a cute gimmick for Brockton, but let me be the first to say that I have a serious problem with this bet.

The Rox's president, Jim Lucas, laid out the terms of the potential wager as follows: if Brockton wins less games than KC, they will donate $500 to the YMCA of Greater Kansas City. If the Royals can't out-win the Rox (did I mention they play in the Canadian American Association? Has anyone even heard of that league?) then Lucas wants them to drop $5,000 in the pockets of Brockton's local Y, specifically for their Little League program.

Uhhh... Jim... What makes you think your squad should get odds? Much less 10-to-1 odds. Last year you were only 6 wins short... do you think the Royals are better this season? If so, why? They're on pace for about 43 wins. Let's say they pick it up a little bit and win 50 - can't the Rox improve from last season? All it should take is one or two extra wins. If you're gonna pile on the Royals like this, is it really necessary to take extra money from them?

I suppose it's to the Royals' credit that they haven't dignified this challenge with a response... but a cynical AL Central fan such as myself has to think it might be out of fear. Poor Royals. They just can't get any respect.