I'm not sure what to make of this...


... BUT I LOVE IT!!!

Perhaps, just perhaps, Walter E. Smithe actually bought the naming rights to Wrigley Field. Most likely not. When I first saw it, I completely believed. My first clue I might be getting duped was the supposed plan to add a permanent dome to the top of the Friendly Confines. When I read that "the Smithe brothers plan to use Walter E. Smithe Field 365 days a year," I was slightly more skeptical.

Unfortunately, the "Press Conference" videos pretty much give away the farm as far as reality is concerned. I'm not sure whether Wrigley and the Cubs are at all involved in this spectacular advertising campaign, but the Smithe ad team really hit a home run. I particularly enjoyed the "Wrigley Field Extreme Makeover" video, which sends a Walter E. Smithe interior decorating team in to improve Wrigley's look.

Looking back at the supposed press release, I probably should've picked up on the joke when I read that Wrigley will become a "true multi-purpose facility," featuring dog shows and rodeos. Still, this is a good laugh and a great idea on the part of Walter E. Smithe. At the end of the day, though, a funnier joke is the Cubs' Opening Day pitching rotation, as detailed by Jay Mariotti in the Chicago Sun Times.